In order to enter the competition, we would like to see your ideas that that solve the challenges the renewable industry faces. For example:
- Offshore wind turbines face an enormous challenge with blade leading edge erosion (due to the tip speed of the blade and the salty local atmosphere).
- Increasing component, sub-system and overall system reliability is a key driver for present tidal turbines.
- Wave energy converter design has not converged on an ideal PTO solution for the oscillatory nature of waves.
- Offshore wind faces many maintenance challenges including the transfer and replacement of large and heavy components in offshore conditions.
The candidates submitting the top three ideas will be invited for interview to discuss the concept presented. Following the interview process a winner will be decided. The winner will receive a paid summer internship (~10 weeks) with Blackfish Engineering. During this placement you will work with the experienced team at Blackfish Engineering to develop your skills and your idea with our support. This work could include CAD modelling, loads and performance analysis, market research activities, small scale testing, business case development and much more.
In order to be in with a chance of winning you will need to answer the following questions:
- What problem/challenge is your idea addressing?
- Outline your concept
- What is the potential market impact?
- What are the biggest obstacles in the development and realisation of this concept?
Read more about the opportunity here.
Contact Blackfish Engineering via firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “BFCOMP2019” to express your interest in the competition and receive the entry form.
Closing date 31/03/2019