Project duration: 2018-2019
The aim of this project was to support Western Power Distribution (WPD) to conduct network planning and investment appraisal. Regen achieved this by informing future load analysis and helping identify where there may be a need for strategic network investment, active network management or investment in flexibility services.
Since 2015, Regen has worked with WPD in the development of a methodology and process to create distribution future energy scenarios. WPD can then use this data to identify potential network constraints and to develop a set of sub-transmission investment options.
The key aims for this project were to support WPD to:
- Forecast and plan for new decentralised generation and storage connections
- Forecast and model new sources of demand including demand coming from high electricity use domestic and commercial technologies such as EVs and heat pumps
- Understand the impact these changes will have on flows in the local distribution network.
- Provide an evidence base to inform future network planning and investment appraisal
- Provide a point of engagement and dialogue with regional stakeholders including network users, local authorities and LEPs.
Our reports for WPD’s licence areas are now available:
Regen are also working with UK Power Networks (UKPN), Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) and Wales and West Utilities (WWU) to develop detailed local scenario analysis for the future development of distributed energy. To find out more about our other Scenario projects, click here.
To find out more about our work with Scenarios, contact Poppy Maltby at email@example.com