We are an organisation with an express mission to decarbonise our energy system and to tackle climate change. With that mission comes the responsibility to ensure that as we decarbonise, we do so in a just way, recognising that climate justice is a key driver behind our activities.
The energy industry has not historically been a pioneer for diversity, equality and inclusion, and we have actively tried to change this over the years, through several areas:
- our Women in Renewable Energy Network (ReWiRE) has worked to address gender balance through events, thought leadership, and mentoring programmes.
- we are always improving our recruitment practices to make our positions accessible to as many people as possible. In particular, we are constantly developing our internship programme to make it open to a wide group of people and offered at the living wage with upfront payments for relocation costs.
- this year we are actively seeking to offer placements to undergraduates who would not otherwise have the opportunity to work in this sector.
However, like many other people across the world, our team were moved by the Black Lives Matter protests in 2020. We have spent time reflecting as a team, challenging ourselves to understand what we need to change and what we can achieve as an organisation, as well as what needs to change in our sector. Whilst we don’t know the answers yet, we do know this includes:
- History: explore what has and hasn’t worked at Regen and in the energy industry
- Impact: understand how we can use our work and our position in the industry, for example by addressing climate/energy justice
- Internal practices: explore actions that Regen can undertake to encourage diversity and inclusion
- Recruitment: understand how diversity and inclusion are fundamental to a thriving, influential organisation
- External/events: use our outward facing role and presence to encourage and promote diverse voices, using our four-point pledge [in progress]
- Accountability: use our non-executive board of directors to question and challenge us in this area
- Communicate: collaborate with other organisations in our sector that are going through a similar journey
This is just the start of the journey. We will update publicly on our progress and we welcome feedback from anyone working in our sector, collaborating with Regen, or applying to our job posts.
As we continue to learn and discuss these topics, we will write updates through our blogs (see below).